Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Upcoming Trip

In order to stay sane on a day-to-day basis, I need to plan trips. Having something to look forward to makes daily drudgery much more satisfying. I enjoy the count-down. Since my spring trip to San Andres or Cuba has had to be, um, postponed, I have decided to plan a smaller and much more manageable trip. Financially. Buffalo, New York USA!

The Albright Knox gallery in Buffalo is fantastic. It's much better than I would have expected for Buffalo, but I don't know why I'd think that other than Canadian snobbery. It is a lovely size and is always well curated. February 13 to June 10 there is a show called Action/Abstraction that I'm dying to see. I haven't been there since I checked out the James Tissot exhibit a number of years ago now.

The Action/Abstraction exhibit reviews American art from 1940-1976 as championed by well known critics and rivals Harold Rosenberg and Clement Greenberg. Artists included in the exhibition are, among many others, Mark Rothko, Jasper Johns, Clyfford Still, Frank Stella, Jackson Pollock, Willem De Kooning and Claes Oldenburg. I'm excited!

Photobucket

Claes Oldenburg "Bedroom Ensemble" from the National Gallery of Canada

Photobucket

Willem De Kooning "Woman V" from the National Gallery of Australia

Photobucket

Mark Rothko "Red, Orange, Tan and Purple" from a private collection

Photobucket

Jasper Johns "Target with Four Faces" from the Museum of Modern Art, NY

Photobucket

Clyfford Still "1952-no.2" from the National Gallery of Australia

Photobucket

Frank Stella "Flin Flon" also from the National Gallery of Australia ...

Photobucket

Jackson Pollock, "Number 4 1950" from the Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburg

I don't think any of those above pieces will be there, but you get the idea. I can't wait!

No comments: