Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Illustrator of the Month - June

Robert Sarsony is an American painter and illustrator. I've selected just a few images that appealed to me and my retro sensibility - they remind me of those wonderful Rockwell images you'd see in the doctor's office, except smuttier.

You can see many more paintings by Sarsony here, and though they are a slightly different style, the common thread to all of his paintings in my mind is his apparent obsession with legs and limbs which I find fascinating and oddly erotic - and dare I say so - even in his images of children. I won't post any of those because I am sure they are completely innocent of any eroticism and even in saying I thought there might be a hint of it is somewhat scandal-ridden, non? But click that link if you'd like to see more from this prolific artist.

In his figure paintings, Sarsony records quiet, reflective moments that present glimpses of figures unconcerned with the viewing audience; we are admitted to the private world of the subject.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

SVCON said...

These are amazing!!

I kind of get what you mean about the limb thing.

Also:
http://fredericksfreisergallery.com/zaxart/octopus_girls/index.html

100 Girls and 100 Octopuses.

I thought you might like this.

Jacalicious said...

octopus girls = awesome. I'm posting.